Assistant Professor - Clinical Scholar
Karmanos Cancer Institute
4100 John R., HW07AO
HWCRC - 740.2
Detroit, MI 48201
Karmanos Cancer Institute
4100 John R., HW07AO
HWCRC - 740.2
Detroit, MI 48201
(2012 - 2015) M.D. St Vincent charity medical center/Case, Western Reserve University, Cleveland OH
(2009 - 2010) MRCP – Member of Royal college of Physicians (Part 1 and 2), London, UK.
(2008 - 2009) ECFMG –Certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduate
(2002 - 2007) M.B.B.S. [Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery], Madras Medical College and Government General Hospital, Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai, India.
(2017 - 2020) Fellowship in Hematology/Oncology, Karmanos Cancer Institute/ Wayne State University
(2016 - 2017) Fellowship in Experimental therapeutics in Translational Hematology Cleveland Clinic Foundation
(2015 - 2016) Fellowship in Neuro-Oncology – Cleveland Clinic Foundation
(2020 - Present) Assistant Professor - Clinical Scholar, Department of Oncology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
(2012 - 2015) Clinical Instructor in Internal Medicine: Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED)
Major Professional Societies
(2019 - Present) American Association of Cancer Research (AACR)
(2016 - Present) Member in training of American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
(2016 - Present) Associate member of American Society of Hematology Gamma knife
(2015 - Present) Member of Society of Neuro-oncology
(2015 - Present) National Cancer Center Network (NCCN)
(2012 - Present) American College of Physicians
(2012 - 2015) St Vincent Charity medical center Tumor board
(2012 - 2015) St Vincent Charity medical center Ethics committee board
(2012 - 2015) St Vincent Charity medical center IRB
(2012 - 2015) Associate Editor for St Vincent charity medical center journal
(2015 - Present) American Board of Internal Medicine
Honors and Awards
(2018) Don Brockton Untangling Amyloidosis Trainee Travel Grant” awarded for meritorious research abstract in amyloidosis. Awarded to 4 recipients internationally after a grant abstract competition and a blinded review
(2018) Trainee scholar award for “Molecular Biology in Clinical Oncology workshop” The Viceroy Snowmass in Snowmass Village, CO
(2018) Meritorious 46 trainees and 4 senior scientists from around the world were inducted after a rigorous selection process based on academic accomplishments and future research proposal “Don Brockton Untangling Amyloidosis Trainee Travel Grant”
(2016) Fellow Scientific Talent Merit Award at ASCO 2016 Chicago, Illinois
(2016) Travel Grant for attending Society of Neuro-Oncology international meningioma consortium’ 2016 – for ORAL abstract at Toronto, Canada
(2015) Fellow Travel Grant award for selected abstracts for NCCN annual meeting at Hollywood, Florida
(2015) Resident travel grant award, St Vincent Charity hospital, for abstract presentation at American College of Physicians National meeting, Boston, MA
(2014) Lead the Medical Jeopardy team from St Vincent Charity hospital in the regional Ohio State ACP championship.
(2014) Resident travel grant award, St Vincent Charity hospital, to present research at American College of Physicians Associates Council Meeting, Columbus, Ohio
(2014) Resident travel grant award, St Vincent Charity hospital, to present research at American College of Physicians National meeting, Orlando, Florida
(2013) Topped the in-service assessment exam in PGY-1, second in PGY-2, St Vincent Charity hospital.
(2013) Resident travel grant award, St Vincent Charity hospital, to present research at American College of Physicians Associates Council Meeting, Columbus, Ohio.
(2002) Topped the physiology University examination with a distinction during medical school.
(2001) Topper, Don Bosco Senior Secondary School, statewide matriculation examination and top 100 in the statewide medical entrance exam.
1. Badar, Talha, Aniko Szabo, Martha Wadleigh, Michaela Liedtke, Shukaib Arslan, Caitlin Siebenaller, Ibrahim Aldoss, Balasubramanian SK et al. "Real world outcomes of adult B-cell acute lymphocytic leukemia patients treated with inotuzumab ozogamicin." Clinical Lymphoma Myeloma and Leukemia - 2020.
2. **Balasubramanian S, Aly M, Nagata Y, et al. Distinct clinical and biological implications of various DNMT3A mutations in myeloid neoplasms. Leukemia. 2018;32(2):550. PMID: 28935992
3. **Balasubramanian SK, Sadaps M, Thota S, et al. Rational management approach to pure red cell aplasia. Haematologica. 2018;103(2):221-230. PMID: 29217782
4. Maciejewski JP, Balasubramanian SK. Clinical implications of somatic mutations in aplastic anemia and myelodysplastic syndrome in genomic age. ASH Education Program Book. 2017;2017(1):66-72. PMID: 292222381
5. **Aly M, Ramdzan ZM, Nagata Y, Balasubramanian SK et al. Distinct clinical and biological implications of CUX1 mutations in myeloid neoplasms. Blood Advances. 2019;3(14):2164-2178. PMID: 31320321
6. **Thota S, Patel BJ, Sadaps M, Balasubramanian SK et al. Therapeutic outcomes using subcutaneous low dose alemtuzumab for acquired bone marrow failure conditions. British journal of haematology. 2018;183(1):133. PMID: 28905372
7. **Bat T, Abdelhamid ON, Balasubramanian SK, et al. The evolution of paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria depends on intensity of immunosuppressive therapy. British journal of haematology. 2018;182(5):730-733. PMID: 28804905
8. **Przychodzen B, Makishima H, Sekeres MA, Balasubramanian SK et al. Fanconi Anemia germline variants as susceptibility factors in aplastic anemia, MDS and AML. Oncotarget. 2018;9(2):2050. PMID: 29416752
9. Balasubramanian, Suresh K., Mayur Sharma, Vyshak A. Venur, Philipp Schmitt, Rupesh Kotecha, Samuel T. Chao, John H. Suh et al. "Impact of EGFR mutation and ALK rearrangement on the outcomes of non–small cell lung cancer patients with brain metastasis." Neuro-Oncology (2019). PMID: 31648302
10. Magnuson WJ, Lester-Coll NH, Wu AJ, et al. Management of brain metastases in tyrosine kinase inhibitor–naïve epidermal growth factor receptor–mutant non–small-cell lung cancer: a retrospective multi-institutional analysis. Journal of clinical oncology. 2017;35(10):1070-1077. PMID: 28113019
11. Balasubramanian SK, Sharma M, Silva D, et al. Longitudinal experience with WHO Grade III (anaplastic) meningiomas at a single institution. Journal of neuro-oncology. 2017;131(3):555-563. PMID: 27864703
Non-peer reviewed journals
1. Osifeso M, Balasubramanian SK, Aysire E, Chmielewski R. Use of Daptomycin in St Vincent charity medical center; presented in St Vincent annual research meeting and published in St Vincent Annual Research Journal 2014.
2. Balasubramanian SK, Affan A, Osifeso M, Ravakhah K. Hyponatremia as an additive marker for severe sepsis; Presented at the Annual Scientific Research meeting of St Vincent charity medical center and published in St Vincent Annual Research Journal 2015.
3. Ziaolhagh A, Balasubramanian SK, Ravakhah K. Composite adenocarcinoma of colon – unusual pathology; Published in St Vincent Annual Research Journal 2014.
Research manuscript submitted other than published:
Autologous stem cell transplantation for follicular lymphoma in the era of Rituximab: Cleveland Clinic experience. Jagadeesh D, Balasubramanian SK, Rybicki L, Abounader DM, Hill BT, Dean RM, Duong HK, Sobecks RM, Hamilton BK, Gerds A, Ferraro C, Green G, Cherni K, Pohlman B, Kalaycio ME, Bolwell BJ, and Majhail NS. Manuscript under preparation for submission.
Internal meeting original research abstracts published
1. Badar, Talha, Anjali S. Advani, Michaela Liedtke, Shukaib Arslan, Muhammad Ali Khan, Ibrahim Aldoss, Caitlin Sienbenaller, Elizabeth Schultz, Mehrdad Hefazi, Rory Michael Shallis, Ilana Yurkiewicz, Nikolai Podoltsev, Anand Patel, Emily Curran, Eric Kuo, Amy Wang, Suresh Balasubramanian et al. "Clinical Outcome with Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation after Blinatumomab or Inotuzumab Ozogamicin in Patients with B-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: Real World Experience." Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation 26, no. 3 (2020): S101-S102.
2. Badar, T., Szabo, A., Wadleigh, M., Liedtke, M., Arslan, S., Siebenaller, C., ... & Kuo, E. (2019). Real World Outcomes of Adult B-Cell Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia Patients Treated with Inotuzumab Ozogamicin. Blood, 134(Supplement_1), 1302-1302. ASH 2019 meeting abstracts in Blood Suppl.
3. Visconte V, Adema V, Hirbawi Y, et al. Autophagy Stimulation Improves Erythroid Proliferative Capacity in Models of SF3B1 Mutant MDS. Leukemia Research. 2017;55:S36.
4. Balasubramanian SK, Schmitt P, Sadaps M, et al. Outcomes of primary central nervous system lymphoma in the era of immunotherapy: Cleveland Clinic experience. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2017;35(15_suppl):e13516-e13516.
5. Aly M, Ramdzan ZM, Nagata Y, et al. Functional and Biological Implications of CUX1 Mutations and Deletions in Myeloid Neoplasms. In: Am Soc Hematology; 2017.
6. Adema V, Palomo L, Hirsch C, et al. Mutational Signature and Clonal Architecture of Low Risk Myelodysplastic Syndromes with Del (5Q). Leukemia Research. 2017;55:S5.
7. Adema V, Balasubramanian SK, Hirsch CM, et al. Novel Therapeutic Targets for DNMT3A Mutant Myeloid Neoplasms. In: Am Soc Hematology; 2017.
8. Sharma M, Silva D, Balasubramanian S, Barnett GH, Mohammadi AM. Laser Ablation in Neuro-oncology. Neurooncology: Newer Developments. 2016:283.
9. Sharma M, Balasubramanian S, Silva D, Barnett GH, Mohammadi AM. Laser interstitial thermal therapy in the management of brain metastasis and radiation necrosis after radiosurgery: an overview. Expert review of neurotherapeutics. 2016;16(2):223-232.
10. Patel B, Przychodzen BP, Clemente MJ, et al. Clonal dynamics of refractory aplastic anemia in patients treated with eltrombopag. In: Am Soc Hematology; 2016.
11. Balasubramanian, Suresh Kumar, Vyshak Alva Venur, Samuel T. Chao, Lilyana Angelov, Alireza Mohammad Mohammadi, Gene H. Barnett, Xuefei Jia, and Manmeet Singh Ahluwalia. "Impact of EGFR and ALK mutation on the outcomes of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients with brain metastases." J Clin Oncol (Meeting Abstracts) 34 (15_Supp_2005) (2016).
12. Karivedu V, Balasubramanian SK, Chao ST, Jia X, Elson P, Ahluwalia MS. Graded Prognostic Index for Gastroesophageal Cancer with Brain Metastases. In: American Society of Clinical Oncology; 2016.
13. Balasubramanian SK, Schmitt P, Chao S, et al. REVISED GRADED PROGNOSTIC ASSESSMENT FOR NON-SMALL CELL LUNG CANCER (NSCLC) BRAIN METASTASES (BM) IN THE ERA OF MOLECULAR PROFILING. Paper presented at: NEURO-ONCOLOGY2016.
14. Balasubramanian SK, Alva Venur V, Chao ST, et al. Impact of EGFR and ALK mutation on the outcomes of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients with brain metastases. In: American Society of Clinical Oncology; 2016.
15. Balasubramanian SK, Ali M, Bat T, et al. Distinct Clinical and Biological Implications of Various DNTMT3A Mutations in Myeloid Neoplasms. Blood. 2016;128(22):2872-2872
16. Badar, T., Szabo, A., Advani, A. S., Wadleigh, M., Arslan, S., Khan, M., ... & Shallis, R. M. (2019). Real World Outcomes of Adult B-Cell Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia Patients Treated with Blinatumomab. ASH 2019 meeting abstracts in Blood Suppl.
1. Balasubramanian SK, Chao S, Mohammadi A, Angelov L, Ahluwalia MA. “Survival outcomes in EGFR positive NSCLC Brain metastases”. NCCN Annual meeting - 2016, Hollywood, FL.
2. Chi M, Balasubramanian SK, Sarmey N, MS, Gotterer L, Chen Z, Stevens G, Peereboom D, MD, Elson P, ScD, Ahluwalia. “WHO Grade 3 Gliomas: Clinical and molecular prognostic factors”. Society of Neuro-Oncology meeting 2016, San Antonio, TX, November 2015.
3. Balasubramanian SK, Elrifai M, Affan A, Ravakhah K. “Lipoma- A peculiar culprit for acute pancreatitis”. American College of Physicians (ACP) Annual meeting - 2015, Boston, MA.
4. Elrifai M, Balasubramanian SK, Magadia A, Ravakhah K. “A unique case Pasteurella Endocarditis”. American College of Physicians (ACP) Annual meeting - 2015, Boston, MA.
5. Balasubramanian SK, Sharma R, Anna A, Ravakhah K. “Hypoglycemia in an obese male - a case report of islet cell neoplasm of pancreas”. American College of Physicians Ohio chapter - 2014, Columbus, Ohio.
6. Balasubramanian SK, Affan A, Ravakhah K. “Glomerular proteinuria – prodrome for a low-grade lymphoma”. American College of Physicians (ACP) Annual meeting - 2014, Orlando, FL.
7. Balasubramanian SK, Heng Joo Ng. “Cold agglutinins as a cause for erroneous elevated serum potassium”. Annual Scientific Meeting of Singapore Society of Hematology - 2011, Singapore.
8. Balasubramanian SK, Hwang YK William. “Effect of extracorporeal photopheresis in acute and chronic GVHD post hematopoietic stem cell transplant at an Asian transplant center”. Annual Scientific Meeting of Singapore Society of Hematology - 2010, Singapore.
9. Balasubramanian SK, Affan A, Ravakhah K. “Sirolimus induced diffuse alveolar hemorrhage (DAH) – non-resolving infiltrates” ACP Ohio chapter - 2014, Columbus. Published in St Vincent charity medical journal 2015 (non Peer reviewed).
10. Balasubramanian SK, Affan A, Ravakhah K. “An unique case of Xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis”. ACP Ohio chapter - 2014, Columbus, Ohio.