Position TitleProfessor - Clinical
Office LocationHudson-Webber Cancer Research Center
Office Phone(313) 576-8727
Office Fax(313) 576-8767
(1989) MPH, University of Michigan, School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI
(1983) M.D., University of Illinois, College of Medicine, Chicago, IL
(1979) B.S. Biology, University of Illinois, Champaign Urbana, IL
(1986-1989) Fellow in Hematology/Oncology, Simpson Memorial Institute, University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor, MI
(1984-1986) Resident in Medicine, Primary Care Tract, University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor, MI
(1983-1984) Intern in Medicine, Primary Care Tract, University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor, MI
(2004-Present) Professor of Medicine, Department of Oncology, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute at Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
(1997-2004) Associate Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology and Oncology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
(1989-1997) Assistant Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology and Oncology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
Hospital or Other Professional Appointments
(2012-Present) Breast Multidisciplinary Team Leader, Karmanos Cancer Center
(2009-Present) Chair, Credentialing Committee, Karmanos Cancer Institute
(2006-Present) Director, Cancer Genetic Counseling Program. Karmanos Cancer Institute.
(2001-Present) Adjunct, Center of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Wayne State University School of Medicine
(1995-Present) Member, Population Studies and Prevention Program, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit MI
(March-May, 2009) Visiting Professor, University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center
(2007-2012) Subspecialty Resident Education Coordinator, Wayne State University School of Medicine
(2004-2007) Vice Chair of the Human Investigation Committee (HIC) Medical/Pediatric (MP4) Institutional Review Board
American Board of Internal Medicine
American Board of Medical Oncology
Honors and Awards
Phi Kappa Phi Honors Society, 1978.
Fellow, American Cancer Society, 1986-88.
Blue Cross/Blue Shield Michigan Foundation Excellence in Research Award for Physicians in the area of policy research, 1998, 2003, 2005, 2012, ($10,000).
Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Charles C. Shepard Science Award For Scientific Excellence in the publication of Oral Contraceptives and the Risk of Breast Cancer, June 9, 2003.
The Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Cancer Patient Services Doctor's Day Award for support of nursing and mentoring of the staff, 5/04.
Wayne State University Service Award in recognition of and appreciation for more than 15 years of dedicated service to the University, 7/12/04.
Wayne State University School of Medicine Teaching Award, 2004, 2012.
2004 Mary P Huddleson Award from the American Dietetic Association for the publication of Changes in food sources of dietary fat in response to an intensive low-fat dietary intervention: Early results from the Women's Health Initiative, 8/10/04.
Best Doctors in America. 2005-2006, 2007-2008, 2009-2010 and 2011-2012 Database
Karmanos Cancer Institute National City Heroes of Breast Cancer Awards. Compassionate Caregiver Award. October 23, 2008.
Women's Health Initiative Performance Award (for the period of October 2007 - September 2008).
MGG 7860: Evaluating Health Care Literature
Medical Resident Instruction
- Cancer epidemiology
- Cancer Genetics
- Disparities in cancer treatment and survival
As a medical oncologist and cancer epidemiologist, I am interested in risk factors for cancer on a population level. I am an active collaborator in the Women's Health Initiative (WHI) and lead or have lead a number of projects evaluating the relationship between hormone therapy, other medication use and cancer risk and survival, as well as the relationship between genetic variation and the response to medications in regards to the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease.
As director of the cancer genetic counseling service at the Karmanos Cancer Institute, I collaborate in a number of studies evaluating barriers to genetic counseling and testing among racial and ethnic minority groups and ways in which to increase knowledge and access to cancer genetic counseling services.
I am also interested in the effect of health disparities as measured by racial and ethnic differences as well as socioeconomic differences on cancer risk, access to care and survival. This work has utilized population based data derived from the WHI, the SEER data base as well as the Henry Ford Health Systems. Currently, we are working on a project to geocode WHI participants with the goal of evaluating the relationship between rural-urban differences in residence on health outcomes.
1. Pressler M, Rosenberg CA, Derman BA, Greenland P, Khandekar J, Rodabough RJ, McTiernan A, Simon MS. Breast cancer in postmenopausal women after non-melanomatous skin cancer: the Women's Health Initiative observational study. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2013 Jun;139(3):821-31. doi: 10.1007/s10549-013-2578-y. Epub 2013 Jun 13.
2. Mellon S, Gauthier J, Cichon M, Hammad A, Simon MS. Knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs of Arab-American women regarding inherited cancer risk. J Genet Couns. 2013 Apr;22(2):268-76. doi: 10.1007/s10897-012-9546-2. Epub 2012 Oct 10
3. Simon MS, Chlebowski RT, Wactawski-Wende J, Johnson KC, Muskovitz A, Kato I, Young A, Hubbell FA, Prentice RL. Estrogen plus progestin and colorectal cancer incidence and mortality. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Nov 10;30(32):3983-90. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2012.42.7732. Epub 2012 Sep 24.
4. Simon MS, Lamerato L, Krajenta R, Booza JC, Ruterbusch JJ, Kunz S, Schwartz K. Int J Breast Cancer. Racial differences in the use of adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer in a large urban integrated health system. 2012;2012:453985. doi: 10.1155/2012/453985. Epub 2012 May 20.
5. Jagtap D, Rosenberg CA, Martin LW, Pettinger M, Khandekar J, Lane D, Ockene I, Simon MS. Prospective analysis of association between use of statins and melanoma risk in the Women's Health Initiative. Cancer. 2012 Oct 15;118(20):5124-31. doi: 10.1002/cncr.27497. Epub 2012 Mar 20.
6. Reding KW, Chen C, Lowe K, Doody DR, Carlson CS, Chen CT, Houck J, Weiss LK, Marchbanks PA, Bernstein L, Spirtas R, McDonald JA, Strom BL, Burkman RT, Simon MS, Liff JM, Daling JR, Malone KE. Estrogen-related genes and their contribution to racial differences in breast cancer risk.Cancer Causes Control. 2012 May;23(5):671-81. doi: 10.1007/s10552-012-9925-x. Epub 2012 Mar 15.
7. Simon MS, Rosenberg CA, Rodabough RJ, Greenland P, Ockene I, Roy HK, Lane DS, Cauley JA, Khandekar J. Prospective analysis of association between use of statins or other lipid-lowering agents and colorectal cancer risk. Ann Epidemiol. 2012 Jan; 22(1):17-27. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2011.10.006. Epub 2011 Nov 4. PMID: 22056480 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
8. Simon MS, Thomson CA, Pettijohn E, Kato I, Rodabough RJ, Lane D, Hubbell FA, O'Sullivan MJ, Adams-Campbell L, Mouton CP, Abrams J, Chlebowski RT. Racial differences in colorectal cancer incidence and mortality in the Women's Health Initiative. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2011 Jul;20(7):1368-78. Epub 2011 May 20. PMID: 21602308 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
9. Simon MS, Shikany JM, Neuhouser ML, Rohan T, Nirmal K, Cui Y, Abrams J. Glycemic index, glycemic load, and the risk of pancreatic cancer among postmenopausal women in the women's health initiative observational study and clinical trial. Cancer Causes and Control. 2010 Aug 15; [Epud ahead of print}.
10. Livaudais JC, Lacroix A, Chlebowski RT, Li CI, Habel LA, Simon MS, Thompson B, Erwin DO, Hubbell FA, Coronado GD. Racial/ethnic differences in use and duration of adjuvant hormonal therapy for breast cancer in the women's health initiative.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2013 Mar;22(3):365-73. doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-12-1225. Epub 2012 Dec 28.